Saturday, June 2, 2012


Chance Encounter, I think not!





My Uncle Martin whose first name is my middle name passed away in fall 2005, way too young at 62. Martin was very involved with me as a young boy, introducing me to the world if comic books, really good food and how to sell Fuller Brush products (the Avon for men back when). Martin used to work part time as a Car service driver that was my favorite because he hid me in the front seat when he picked up a fare. The details are foggy, I was only five or so, it involved us laughing that deep belly laugh that came so very easy to him. Martin had two daughters my beautiful cousins, who are now wonderfully smart, funny and beautiful. Missing him is very easy to do, there was are so many things that he would have answered for me.
What made me think of this was an occurrence that took place at work; I was working as a "Closer"* in a large dealership. This dealership is located was west in Broward county, so far west that only a highway separates’ it from the Everglades. Its location, while a popular place, it only draws customers from Broward County mainly. One of the salesmen on my team was working with a couple in their early thirties, they were interested in a very nice SUV. Nothing unusual this happens every day, only this couple lived about 45 miles from the dealership. That is unusual since they had to pass around four places that sold the car they liked, just not in the color they preferred we had it in stock.
The wife called earlier in the day and made an appointment for later in the evening, late for us around 7:30 (yet another reason why that business sucks). Upon their arrival the salesman was paged, he showed them the car that they wanted although they could not agree upon price. When this happens its’ my job to get up of my tush and go to work, simply fitting the car into the monthly budget that they now have to reconsider-do not hate the player as they say. When this takes place my training tells me it is important that we all get to know one another. After all it is a big purchase, plus it is how I made a living getting them to say yes.
Please do not think that this a sleazy buying experience with the typical slimy salesmen tactics, that’s just the thing it was a very natural, comfortable almost familiar conversation. His wives name slips my mind; his name is Carlton, who had recently begun working as a CPA. Our conversation went on, peppered with both laughter and lots of questions that led to us both learning about each other’s background, etc. Carlton worked for the USPS for around 14 years, my Aunt, two Uncles and quite a few friends have been career USPS. More specifically Carlton worked night’s downtown Manhattan. Martin worked night’s downtown Manhattan, my aforementioned Uncle.
The first thing I asked Carlton was if he knew him, he told me no and there were hundreds of people on shift there every day. So for a few more minutes we small talked, finally coming to agreeable terms. We were finishing up, thanking him for his purchase while thinking to myself how nice that he went to school, moved his family to a nicer place becoming a solid Father and husband. Then it happened; now this can be dismissed as coincidence but often in my life, coincidence is far from accurate this was from beyond my reasonable nature causing me to seem even Kookier in my beliefs. At almost 9:30 pm in Dump water Florida, butted up to the big Swamp a man in a mechanics outfit walks by me, slap’s me on the back, bellowing the name “RUDYYYYAAA”. Here is the thing no one calls me Rudy ever, but Martin was only called Rudy at work.

Carlton looks up from his Childs gaze and says, “your nickname is Rudy?” it’s not I replied, that is when he said I worked with a guy Rudy for fourteen years his last name is Rozinsky. Well after he told me that they played Knock Rummy every night and a few other bits, my cousins names  clearly that this man not only knew Martin they were close, Carlton said "Rudy raised me, taught me the ropes" He had only great things to say about my Uncle.  

So you tell me how do these things happen, here comes a man far from his normal travel area to wind up spending a considerable amount of time telling me all about a side of my Uncle that I would have not known and all of it good. Since Martin’s passing there have been many moments that it seems he has been right next to me. Once leaving a comic book store, another time in my home deep in thought yet again today when writing a different story to tell you. This was a thing while it was never forgotten; it was not in my every day thoughts although it was for a long time.
How did Carlton and myself meet, why did a stranger walk right by me touch me and finally calling me Rudy? Carlton's memories seemed so clear, concise, filled with insight about my Uncle? 


                  If perception is truly our reality, as my belief system tells me, then there is more to these chance encounters. I hope so, isn't it much more fun to think that we get to see some who went before us. Not to mention we get to go see some exotic locales, you know how I have been itching to travel 

  Scott VS Liver Cancer

* The asshole who comes out to get you to put more money down, or make higher monthly payments!
Comments here!

No comments: